Down the Beaten Path

Down the Beaten Path

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Whole Wheat Carrot Rolls

Sprouted Wheat

Ground sprouted wheat

 
Yummy recipe from a inexpensive bread book hubby bought me last year. So far this is my favorite recipe out of this book. So I thought I'd share it with you today.
 
What I love about them most is they have no sugar.
 
Ingredients
1 3/4 c white bread flour plus extra for dusting
1 3/4 whole-wheat bread flour plus extra for sprinkling.
(I used all sprouted whole wheat flour for the both flours)
1 envelope or 2 T of active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 lukewarm water
2 T olive oil
3 carrots shredded about 1 1/2 c
oil for brushing.
 
I also add chia seeds, flax, and hemp heart combo I get from NOW. I have added chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds, or walnuts.
 
1. sift white flour in a bowl, add whole wheat flour sift in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the center and add the water, olive oil, and carrots mixing to a soft dough.
 
2. Invert the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth. Place the dough in a bowl, cover, and let resst for 5 minutes.
 
3. brush a baking sheet with oil. Invert the dough and lightly knead again until smooth. Divide into eight pieces, shape each piece into a ball, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet, allowing room for spreading.
 
4. Cover and let rest in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat the over to 425.
 
5. Sprinkle the rolls with a little while-wheat flour and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
 
Enjoy
 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy baking with whole wheat and am always on the lookout for something yummy. These look fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete